Scale & Root Planning
Patient Instructions After Scaling and Root Planning
These are some helpful suggestions that will increase your comfort and help you to receive the maximum benefit from periodontal treatment.
1. Tenderness is normal. To reduce tenderness and promote healing, rinse with salt water every two to three hours (Yz teaspoon salt in a 4oz. glass of water).
2. Avoid brushing or flossing the treated area for 12 hours. After 12 hours, resume brushing with a soft- bristled toothbrush that is moistened in warm water.
3. Tylenol or Ibuprofen may be used as recommended for discomfort.
4. A nutritious diet is necessary for the healing process. Avoid foods that require excessive chewing and foods that are sticky, crunchy or coarse.
5. Tooth sensitivity is normal and temporary. You may use desensitizing toothpaste such as Sensodyne or any major brand for sensitivity relief.
6. You may also gently massage the areas treated with your washed fingers. This will increase circulation and promote healing.
Please contact our office should you experience prolonged bleeding or any other problems during the healing process.